Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Priests of Worship
It's about focus on a good God
by Erik Momsen
It is the task of the church to remind the world that there is a creator God who is the center of all reality and that all creation is to put Him first. Satan attacks this truth when he says to Eve "you will be like God or become a god" (Genesis 3:5). He is saying, "Lets us disregard the Almighty and go our own way".
The counter attack of God comes when He gathers a people who will put Him first to the glory of all creation. God creates a people who will, by choice, place Him as their King.
"And now if you will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then you shall be a peculiar treasure to Me above all the nations; for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." (Exodus 19:5,6)
"To be my people for my renown and praise and honor. But they have not listened." (Jeremiah 13:11)
- It is now our life's aim to focus on God.
- BUT OUR FOCUS SO EASILY BECOMES OURSELVES.
HOW DO WE BECOME PRIESTS FOCUSED ON GOD?
GOD IS DOING IT
Revelation 1:6 "And has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father; ...."
Revelation 5:10 "You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth." (cf. Rev 20:6)
1Peter 2:5 "You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. ... 9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
1Corinthians 3:16 "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" (C.F Exodus 19:5)
CALLED TO MINISTER (SERVE) TO GOD
Revelation 1:6 "A kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father; ...."
When God established the priesthood - service was the aim.
Exodus 28:1 "Have Aaron your brother brought to you from among the Israelites, ... so they may serve me as priests.
28:4 so they may serve me as priests.
28:41 Consecrate them so they may serve me as priests.
30:30 "Anoint Aaron and his sons and consecrate them so they may serve me as priests.
31:10 they serve as priests,
40:15 Anoint them just as you anointed their father, so they may serve me as priests."
TO OFFER SACRIFICES
There are a variety of sacrifices. Sacrifices bring attention to God. Show we value Him and place Him first.
- To be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1Peter 2:5)
- "Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service." (Romans 12;1)
- "Having received from Epaphroditus the things which you sent , an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable and well-pleasing to God. " (Philippansd 4:18)
- But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. (Hebrews 13:16)
- By Him, then, let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. sacrifice of doing good. (Hebrews 13:15)
- that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (1 Peter 2:9)
TO TEACH THE WAYS OF GOD
"Every high priest is selected from among men and is appointed to represent them in matters related to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness. This is why he has to offer sacrifices for his own sins, as well as for the sins of the people. No one takes this honor upon himself; he must be called by God, just as Aaron was. (5:1-4)
- This passage speaks about what Jesus did - but believers live out many of these things.
Worship happens when a heart earnestly turns to God with thanksgiving for the forgiveness and blessings God has already given us.
Date Added: 2009-09-11
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen