Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Friend of God
by Erik Momsen
On Tuesday 4 August 2009 Geoge Sodini, 48, shot up a Pittsburgh fitness class murdering three women and maiming nine others.
Sodini writes on his website:
"I like to write and talk. Ironic because I haven't met anybody recently (past 30 years) who I want to be close friends with OR who want to be close friends with me. I was always open to suggestions to what I am doing wrong, no brother or father (mine are useless) or close friend to nudge me and give it bluntly yet tactfully wtf I am doing wrong. A personal coach or someone who knows what he is doing would be perfect."
He might not have had a friend in the world, but he could have been a Friend of God.
MOSES THE FRIEND OF GOD
Israel had just turned from the God who liberated them from slavery and worshiped a gold calf they made with their own hands. God sent the Levites through the camp killing three thousand and then sent a plague among them. God then instructs them to proceed to the promised land but says;
"I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites ... But I will not go with you, because you are a stiffed necked people and I may destroy you on the way." (Exodus 33:2,3)
- God would give them what they needed, but not go with them.
- The relationship had been broken.
The close relationship between God and Moses still stands and proves to be the salvation of Israel.
"The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp but his young aid Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent." (33:11)
- This is the type of relationship God and man desires.
- This is what established Moses as liberator of Israel.
- Friends speak face to face - spend time together - talk truth.
- What was young Joshua thinking and doing while waiting?
- It is interesting to see how Joshua finished strong and how while he lived Israel walked in God's ways.
- He must have gotten used to God's presence while waiting outside the tent.
"Moses said to the Lord, 'You have been telling me 'lead these people,' but you have not let me know who you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me. If you are please with me teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you ..."
"The Lord replied, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest"
- Who did Moses want to go with him? Was the angel was not enough?
- Moses' desire was always for God's presence
- Of all people on earth, God takes a personal interest in Moses knowing him by name.
- God does not lead us through directive but relationship - He has always wanted our hearts.
- Moses knows that through knowing God's ways he can keep in step & be blessed.
"If your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. ... What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth." (33:15,16)
- Moses wanted to do nothing unless God was in the very middle of it.
- He also knew that their identity and being came from God.
- They would be no different, apart from God.
"And the Lord said to Moses,'I will do the very thing you asked, because I am please with you and I know you by name'." (33:17)
- Because of Moses' heart and his dependence on their friendship.
- Moses had leverage because of the friendship.
JESUS AND HIS FRIENDS (John 15:12-15)
Friends give their lives for each other.
Jesus calls his people - FRIENDS.
They are his friends when they love and sacrifice.
We are no longer servants but friends because we know the plans of Jesus and the Father
- The Father Son and Spirit talk to us like friends.
"You though you found a friend - to take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand in return for Grace" U2
presence establishes friendship
sacrifice and love sustains friendship
Date Added: 2009-08-11
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen