Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
The New Look Church
by Erik Momsen
WHAT IS THE CHURCH?
A building with a cross / A music group - choir / Bible teachings and Sunday School / mercy to the poor / .....? These are aspects, but not the core.
The Church is firstly what the Greek word describes as an "Ecclesia" = a gathering.
We have to get a few people together in the name of Jesus.
"Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:19,20)
The gathering of a few, in the name of Jesus, has great power to effect change in people's lives.
WHY DO WE GATHER?
We gather to perfect one thing - Love.
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37)
- our first reason for gathering is to show and grow our Love for God.
- our second reason is to grow and show our Love for all humanity.
HOW DO WE SHOW AND GROW LOVE?
(Acts 2:42-47 gives us the keys to the success of the early church - NB)
- We spend time, energy and money on those we love!
Love for God
- Being teachable - submission to the Word of God.
- Breaking of bread - acknowledging the death and resurrection of Christ.
- Prayer - talking to the Father, through the Son, in the power of the Spirit.
- Daily they met together in the temple,
- Praising God.
They were an obedient group of believers.
Jesus said "if you love me you will obey me." (John 14)
Love for others
- They were devoted to the fellowship.
- They had everything in common - selling their possessions and sharing.
- They broke bread in their homes and ate together.
What did God do in response?
- Many wondrous and miraculous signs were performed.
- Everyone was filled with awe - God was seen to be alive.
- They enjoyed the favour of all the people.
- God added to their numbers daily THOSE WHO WERE BEING SAVED.
WHAT KIND OF CHURCH ARE WE GOING TO BE?
- Meet Together - With All Your Strength.
- Worship Together - With All Your Heart.
- Learn Together - With All Your Mind and Actions.
- Share Together - With All Compassion.
- Be Supernatural - With All The Spirit’s Power.
- Add The Numbers - Those Who Are Being Saved.
Date Added: 2009-01-23
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen