Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Growing in Prayer
by Erik Momsen
For many years I have know that the secret to the Kingdom of God is prayer. Many of you know the same truth. The church in the West has struggled for many generations to rediscover its identity and role while the rest of the Christian world has lived out the secret of prayer.
The Lord works this secret in many ways. The words "My Father's house shall be called a house of prayer" have been used in our fellowship for many years but one couple took it to heart and placed a large stainless steel sign (a most durable of metals) above the entrance to our building.
Early this year, after a sabbatical, the Lord place the letters "Isa. 56" before my spiritual eyes. I turned immediately to the passage and was astounded.
The House of Prayer: Our Eternal Identity
"And do not let the son of the stranger, who has joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, the LORD has utterly separated me from His people. And do not let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For so says the LORD to the eunuchs who keep My sabbath, and choose things that please Me, and take hold of My covenant; even to them will I give within My house and within My walls a hand and a name better than of sons and of daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, who join themselves to the LORD to serve Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants, everyone who keeps from defiling the sabbath, and takes hold of My covenant; even them I will bring to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted on My altar; for My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples." (Isaiah 56:3-7)
- Being a House of Prayer is our true calling or identity.
- Note Jesus's disgust that "His Father's house" was used for other things.
- Note that the "House of prayer" is for all nations.
- Israel was racist and much of the church still is.
- God's desire is for every tribe, tongue and nation to be part of His family.
- Not grumbling but joy in the house of prayer.
WHAT IS PRAYER?
1) It is hearing the voice of God - "And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day. And Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God in the middle of the trees of the garden." (Genesis 3:8).
- Adam and Eve were used to conversing with God.
- Humanity has been running away since the fall.
- Fear of God - fear to talk to Him - what will I say?
- I have no time, I've just bought a business.
- "Prayer is for those who don't want to work" = pride and foolishness.
- A lack of faith in God's power to deliver nations.
2) It is maintaining our relationship with God. We are warned about losing our "first love" in Revelation 2;4. How can you maintain a love relationship without regular talking, holding, loving, making time, giving and taking. We have lost this love relationship with God because we have not maintained our relationship. We have become mildly warm.
3) We were created to interact deeply with God’s heart. God speaks and moves our heart. Then we speak and move His heart. The result is that God’s resources are released into the earthly realm. God’s resources include His wisdom, unity, money, favour in ministry, zeal for righteousness, etc.
4) "We do not have because we do not ask." (James 4:2). This goes for our daily bread, but also our Kingdom work. The way for the church to grow is not programs but the power of God changing lives. Jesus told us that the harvest is always ready but the workers are few (or confused or fighting with each other or bored or sick or in trouble or grumbling). Jesus's answer was to ASK the Lord of the Harvest for more workers. PRAYER!!!
5) God has made us ALL priests and kings. Not some of us priests and the other part kings. In the west we only want to be kings because kings have the money and the power. Nobody wants to be priests because they are the guys who are poor and have to pray all night. When we seek first the King and what He wants and that His house is a house of prayer - then He will add all things to us.
"Have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth." (Revelation 5:10)
THE VERY ANSWER TO YOUR LIFE IN CHRIST STARTS AND CONTINUES IN YOU TALKING TO HIM - GET SERIOUS
Date Added: 2008-06-17
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen