Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
by Erik Momsen
A class of 6 year olds was asked what is here now that was not in the world twenty years ago. A little girl put up her hand and answered, "Me".
We are becoming increasingly individualistic and doing less with other people. Even our faith life is being destroyed. There are millions of TV believers who seldom gather with other believers. Even and especially our prayer life is having less of an "US" flavour.
When the disciples asked Jesus how to pray He started the prayer with:
"Our Father ..."
"Give us this day ..."
Forgive us our sins ... "
"As we forgive others ..."
PRAYER IS AN US ACTIVITY
"And all the sons of Israel, and all the people, went up and came into the house of God, and wept, and sat there before the LORD and fasted that day until evening, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD." (Judges 20:26)
"And Samuel said, Gather all Israel to Mizpeh, and I will pray for you to the LORD. And they were gathered to Mizpeh, and drew water, and poured out before the LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, We have sinned against the LORD. And Samuel judged the sons of Israel in Mizpeh." (1 Samuel 7:5,6)
"And David took hold on his garments, and tore them. And likewise all the men with him did so. And they mourned and wept and fasted until evening, for Saul, and for his son Jonathan, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword." (2 Samuel 1:11,12)
"And they came in and spoke to Jehoshaphat, saying, A great multitude has come against you from beyond the sea on this side of Syria. And behold, they are in Hazazon-tamar, which is En-gedi. And Jehoshaphat feared and set himself to seek the LORD, and called for a fast throughout all Judah. And Judah gathered themselves to ask of the LORD. Even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the LORD." (2 Chronicles 2:3-5)
WHY PRAY TOGETHER?
1) The job is too big for any one person - God shares the load.
"Bear on another's burdens." (Galatians 6:2)
2) God arrives when we gather.
"Do you not know you are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in you." (1 Corinthians 3:16)
- the YOU'S ARE PLURAL = TOGETHER GOD LIVES IN US.
- the "temple" is actually only the Holy of Holies where the Ark of the Covenant was kept. The Ark was the place God's presence dwelt.
- the gathered people of God is now the Holy of Holies.
"For where two of three are gathered in My name, I am there in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)
3) Times when God only does it for two or more:
"If my people who are called by my name ...... pray .... I will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)
"Again I say to you that if two of you shall agree on earth as regarding anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them by My Father in Heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there I am in their midst." (Matthew 18:19,20)
"Is any among you afflicted? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will cure the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up. And if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him. Confess faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous one avails much." (James 5:13-16)
- I see a call to engage in spiritual activity. Our first recall is to prayer, not other worldly solutions - PRAY - REJOICE.
- Why do believers not ask for prayer? - we don't believe it works!!
- Remember no cell phones or e-mail - the elders were at hand - they turned to an elder and asked for prayer.
- Prayer for one another.
- Note confession is involved in the healing
- Note the categorical statement : "The prayer of faith will cure the sick."
Date Added: 2008-06-10
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen