Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
by Erik Momsen
Humanity has developed through the Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron ..... Industrial, Space or Nuclear, and now the Information Age. In our age knowledge is power. This is true in nearly all areas of life. In all ages humanity has looked for knowledge. At times the search was more determined.
This desire to know is reflected in the Eden story. "And the Lord God made all kinds of trees ... in the middle of the Garden were the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil." (Genesis 2:9)
- "Tree of Life" - Signifying life without death; God intended Eternal Life.
- "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" - A source of moral choice without God - their own way.
That knowing did not do Adam and Eve much good. God said, 'The man has now become like one us, knowing Good and Evil, he must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the Tree of Life and eat this and live for ever'. (Genesis 3:22).
Note: At first it was only the Tree of Knowledge that was prohibited.
We now have a virus that corrupts all our knowing of God and others. We live with the knowledge of evil but no way to change it.
BUT GOD STILL KNOWS US
Psalm 139: 1-18
- God knows our every thought and action.
- We cannot escape from God (This is good or bad depending on you).
- God knows me because he made me.
- Because He made me "I am fearfully and wonderfully made".
- Because God knows me, He teaches me..
"I am pleased with you and I know you by name." Exodus 33: 12-18
Moses is crying out:
1. Give me a Helper.
2. If You are pleased with me, teach me.
3. I want to know You and please You.
4. Send Your Presence with us.
5. Show me Your Glory.
1. My Presence will go with you and give you rest.
2. I am pleased with you and I know you by name.
HOW TO KNOW GOD
Jesus, "I am the Good Shepherd, I know my sheep and my sheep know me - I lay down my life for the sheep." (John 10:14)
- There's the Tree of Life again.
Date Added: 2001-06-26
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen