Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
by Erik Momsen
We devoted a month a while back to the cells or "gatherings" of our church. I use the word gathering because there are many different types of groups. Cells are one kind of gathering but what we are interested in is the words of Jesus saying: "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:20
Every time two or more believers come together with Jesus as focus something powerful happens. The problem is we often gather and forget to invite or expect Him to be present.
The Christian faith can be survived alone, but can only be lived in community. For too long the western Christian has believed that his faith is an issue between him and Jesus alone whereas Jesus gives us the foundation of our faith and life in the Great Commandment:
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:36
Our faith is about God and people at the same time. James assures us that love for God does not exist without love for people. It might seem easier just to focus on God and forget the rest, but the Father believes in family and will have nothing to do this type of false religion.
GATHERINGS OF ALL TYPES AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE
"Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:41-47
"Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ." (Acts 5:42)
SOME THINGS THEY DID:
1. Apostles' teaching - fellowship - breaking of bread - prayer.
These things should be present in our gatherings;
i.e. read the Word - enjoy each other - break bread - pray.
2. They gave to anyone as he had need.
3. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.
4. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts.
5. Praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.
6. The Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
PRACTICALLY SPEAKING IN YOUR OWN TOWN:
1. You need to be in Christ-focused Company as often as possible. It is here that the Lord speaks and shapes us.
2. These gatherings, if they have the flavour of Jesus, are to be enjoyable.
3. Be creative in your gathering, and don’t only think Bible study. People need friendship, prayer and the Body of Christ as much as bible study.
4. Eat more often in your homes.
5. The life of your gatherings is in the new people - babies are exciting and need lots of teaching and care. This is new and adds life. It gives everyone a chance to teach and clean up after them.
6. Have as many types of gatherings as possible. Be creative. Always focus on Jesus and His little ones. (Office Jesus meetings, seniors gatherings, youth bashes, bike rides - if you have to you can pedal!).
Date Added: 2013-06-05
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen