Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Money makes the world go round
by Erik Momsen
Most of the news is about money and many of the wars are a result of a desire to make money or started by individual men who were greedy for money and power. Most of us speak more about money than most other subjects and we think about it even more. We think about the cost of bread, petrol and school fees. We worry if we will be able to make the budget balance or what will happen if we lose our jobs. Money is at the centre of nearly all our dealing with the physical world. "Everything has a price", we are told. People even marry for money.
However as Christians we know that there is a certain way to deal with money. We worry about it yet we know we should not. We long after more yet we know this is wrong. We plot and plan how to get more yet we have heard God will provide. There are Biblical guidelines on how to deal with money that will help us be more at peace with this most important topic.
WHO DOES IT BELONG TO ANYWAY?
- The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it, for he founded it upon the sees and established it upon the waters. (Psalm 24:1)
- Who has a claim against me that I must pay. Everything under the heaven belongs to me. (Job 41:11)
The way we deal with our money shows to what degree God is part of our lives. When you look at your salary at the beginning of the month do you think "Lord this all belongs to you" or do you think "Lord I'll give you some if there is anything left at the end of the month"?
If there is nothing in your hand you should think the same way. "Lord this nothing belongs to you. You put nothing or something into my hands. Where must I hold my hands so that you can put it in?"
Money is an issue of faith and one of the easiest and clearest tests of our faith. How great is your faith when your bank account is full and does God have complete control of your cheque book?
MONEY IS A DANGEROUS THING!
Money has great power for good and evil and it is easy to get confused. We must acknowledge that we have a greater or lesser degree of greed in us and money is at the heart of the matter. The Bible has many warnings for us.
- Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. (Ecclesiastes 5:10)
- Keep your lives free from the Love of money and be content with what you have.
- "You cannot serve both God and money ..." (Matthew 6:24 )
Read 1 Timothy 6:6-10 "...the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil ..."
- "Godliness with contentment".
- "Food and clothing is enough".
- "The want of riches brings temptation".
- "Eagerness for money can lead one away from the faith" .
GOD DOES WANT TO BLESS
- Fear of the Lord / walking in His ways.
- He will eat the fruit of his labour = his work gets results.
- Wife fruitful / many sons / long life.
Do not let the Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. (Joshua 1:8,9 ) c.f. Prov 3:2
THE LORD BLESSES WHO AND WHEN HE WANTS
BUT WHY DOES IT NOT HAPPEN TO ME?
- Probably sin and foolishness in all our lives (still reaping the past).
- Remember we are not in it for the money.
- Know that your heart can deceive you.
- God's principles are subject to His personality (He is a person not a program) .
Job 42:10,12 "After Job prayed for His friends, the Lord made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had had before. The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first."
- Job forgives his friends.
- Spiritual breakthroughs cause a breakthrough in the financial.
- The Lord had complete rights over Job's life.
- The Lord also had the complete right and control over the timetable.
- The Lord has the right to take us where He wants.
- We are His sheep and if He wants to take us through a barren place it is up to Him.
- You have the right to curse God and leave His flock if He doesn't perform to your expectations.
GODLY PROSPERITY IS A BY-PRODUCT OF OUR LOVE AND FAITHFULNESS, NOT THE GOAL OF OUR "FAITH"
OBEDIENCE BRINGS PROSPERITY
Then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes ... HE will make you more prosperous and numerous that your fathers. (Deuteronomy 30:3- 20)
A HINT ON INVESTMENTS
Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow. (Proverbs 13:11)
"...Each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income." (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given. Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly ... (2 Corinthians 9:5-15)
Date Added: 2000-07-07
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen