Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
The Patience and Kindness of God
by Erik Momsen
What gets people to turn to God? What gets people to turn from their self-destructive ways? It is definitely not showing them how bad sin is. Humanity is very good at making laws but very bad at getting individuals to follow them.
We cannot show people law but we must show people the true nature of God. The way we represent God is so vital but also so difficult for us to do accurately. More people would believe if it were not for believers. We preach love, kindness and mercy but find it so difficult to practice it.
I believe few have really seen the goodness of God and when I do I will start to more accurately reflect the true nature of God. Then people will want to be with this Loving Living God. It has always been satan's plan to blaspheme the name and nature of God and too many have believed his lies.
“Or are you unaware of his rich kindness (gentleness, goodness), forbearance (self-restraint, tolerance), and patience, that it is God's kindness that is leading you to repent?” (Romans 2:4)
- We project our frustrations, angers and disappointments on God and portray God as butcher and not the Good Shepherd.
- It is God's KINDNESS that leads people to repentance.
- When people are shown an accepting, loving, forgiving, new-start God they will have hope again – which turns to faith and love.
- REPENTANCE = metanoia – change of mind – thought and feeling.
- “repentance” is often portrayed as guilt but guilt only causes more defeat – people already feel guilty – that's satan's trick – but few people believe God always accepts his creation – is able to overcome any of our weaknesses and give us a new life & an eternal life.
“The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some people understand slowness, but is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to perish, but wants everyone to repent.” (2Peter 3:9)
GOD WANTS ALL SAVED – BACK WITH HIM – FREE FROM SATAN
“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age." (Titus 2:11,12)
- By seeing God's grace (love, forgiveness, acceptance, goodness, …. ) we see what is our true inheritance and future – and we GO FOR GOD.
- The world teaches, behave and be accepted.
- Gospel teaches, believe and be accepted,
- Believe He LOVES, FORGIVES, ACCEPTS, SETS FREE, RENEWS ...
“But you, dear friends, must continue to build your most holy faith for your own benefit. Furthermore, continue to pray in the Holy Spirit. Remain in God's love as you look for the mercy of our Lord Jesus the Messiah, which brings eternal life. Show mercy to those who have doubts. Save others by snatching them from the fire. To others, show mercy with fear, hating even the clothes stained by their sinful lives. Now to the one who is able to keep you from falling and to make you stand joyful and faultless in his glorious presence, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus the Messiah, our Lord, be glory, majesty, power, and authority before all time and for all eternity! Amen." (Jude 1:20-25)
BUILD YOUR FAITH by knowing His presence, His nature, His ways.
BUILD YOUR FAITH for your own good.
LIVE IN HIS LOVE – remind yourself of it – open your eyes to see it.
LOOK FOR HIS MERCY – look to the cross where mercy flows.
AS YOU KNOW HIS MERCY ---- YOU WILL SHOW HIS MERCY.
SHOW MERCY TO PEOPLE ---- HATE THE SIN.
“To this world Messiah came, sinful people to reclaim. I am the worst of them. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the worst sinner, the Messiah Jesus might demonstrate all of his patience as an example for those who would believe in him for eternal life." (1Timothy 1:15,16)
Date Added: 2012-08-29
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen