Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
by Erik Momsen
Just because a practice is common in the world does not mean it is right. Just because it is a hard teaching does not mean we must find ways around it.
Marriage has been under attack for centuries and modern man has almost completely cast off restraint in this matter. The consequences are dire for all concerned but much of our society has lost the art of marriage.
On the converse we have shining examples of marriage and others who will nail their flags to the post and hang on in the faith that God is able. I believe God is calling us to state clearly that Godly marriage is possible. I did not say perfect marriage because remember you are married to a not yet perfected person. Some of us need to stand up and say, “with God's help this marriage will work”.
JESUS ON MARRIAGE
In Matthew 5 Jesus sets some far higher standards than those of the common day. The Law said do not kill, but Jesus has serious problems with anger. The Law says do not commit adultery, but Jesus says a lustful look is as bad.
"It was also said, 'Whoever divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.' But I say to you, any man who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." (Matthew 5:31,32)
- Divorce was as easy or easier in the Israel of Jesus.
- The word adultery denotes pollution/mixing and has special reference to the children of the family involved because their parentage is then in dispute. Adultery strikes directly at the heart of the family.
- Jesus says that adultery sets up the chain reaction for diluting / polluting / mixing the nuclear family and thus weakening it substantially.
Jesus is saying that divorce sets off unstoppable consequences.
“Some Pharisees came to him in order to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason?" He answered them, "Haven't you read that the one who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female' and said, 'That is why a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, man must never separate." They asked him, "Why, then, did Moses order us 'to give a certificate of divorce and divorce her'?" He told them, "It was because of your hardness of heart that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives. But from the beginning it was not this way. I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery." (Matthew 19:3-9)
The pharisees were more interested in the debate than the people involved. The Shammai school taught that adultery (some uncleanness Deuteronomy 24:1) has occurred, while Hillel school taught that the husband who was “unpleased” with her could divorce her.
- Jesus directs them to God's plan – it is God's marriage.
- From his fathers house to his wife's bed – no other beds in-between.
- The two are now one.
- God has joined them so let no other separate them.
Jesus says “It was because of your hardness of heart”.
- Some are too dumb/deluded to stay married – guard your mind.
- Some are too broken – understand yourself.
- Some are too arrogant – “fear of the Lord … wisdom”.
- Some are under the attack of evil – be on guard.
God is able.
Families can be blessed.
There is no other institution like a Godly marriage.
Deuteronomy 24:5 "When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken."
Date Added: 2011-09-20
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen