Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Ten Tips to Tranquility
by Erik Momsen
So I know the title is corny, but it is ultimately true. Very few people have tranquility and peace in their lives. The lack of peace is either a material or internal battle - or often both at the same time. It is noteworthy that the most popular Psalm (23) speaks about inner and outer turmoil and God's deliverance. David experienced these truths:
There are other places in the bible that gives us tips on how to stay calm and win the battle of life. So many are losing it because they do not have the truth of Proverbs 1:7 - "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline".
My own greed for more and shinier toys drives me to consider taking on more debt that will only put more pressure on me to perform and make more money.
2. WATCH YOUR TONGUE - Telling half truths and whole lies about people is devastating to all involved - but we love talking about others. It makes us feel important because for a short while we are the center of the attention. Ephesians 4:29 - "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Getting ourselves out of a hole we have dug with our tongues is painful.
3. DON'T TAKE OR USE THAT IS NOT YOURS - Most people are not caught taking stuff but all steal. We steal people's reputations - or use and manipulate them. We take a salary from a boss or government and don't put in the time we agreed to. Stealing only causes more poverty.
4. DON'T LUST - Lust and greed are the two eyes of a terrible monster. They are both unquenchable and want whatever they see. Talking about lust Proverbs 6:27 says; "Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned?" Lust is a force that confuses and drains one's energy and prosperity. It take you away from God's prosperity of family, legitimate business, friends and creativity.
5. DON'T HATE - Apart form being completely contrary to the heart of God, it also cut you off from ALL His blessing and forgiveness. It puts you outside God's river of life. It makes you a slave to destructive energy in your own body and attracts the attention of devils.
6. KEEP PEACE WITH YOUR FAMILY - Apart from the Spirit of God, family is the strongest good force on earth. (Psalm 127). Why do small family communities around the world prosper more than the people around them? They live, work and prosper together. The devil is breaking up families around the world and hence destroying their prosperity.
7. TAKE A DAY OFF PER WEEK - Most are over worked, over worried and under worshipped. When the focus of our week is not the worship of God we will be overcome by worry. No matter how hard you work and how successful you are, unless the Lord is in charge of the house something will break (Psalm 127). It will probably be your heart or psyche.
8. DON'T BLAME GOD - You cannot win a fight with God. He does not cause suffering but will work through it. When you blame Him you make an enemy of the one who can really help and you probably are blinded to your own foolishness that got you into the situation.
9. DON'T GET HOOKED ON STUFF - God has given humanity incredible creativity. Ferrari, Ducatti, Gucci, Michael Angelo etc. but we can unknowingly worship these things. Focus on God, people & creation.
10. PUT GOD FIRST - It is hell trying to balance your life on your own. How do I do the right thing? Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command" (John 14:15). Love brings obedience, brings blessing. A life focused on loving God will be balanced (family, business, friends, the needy). The love of God in and though us is the core and energy of life.
Date Added: 2011-05-17
|Home | About us | Staff | Events | Ministries | News | Teachings | Links | Photos | Guestbook | Contact|