Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Worship in Spirit & Truth
by Erik Momsen
Jesus is not a sandal clad hippie from California. Neither is he a white-tied elder of the DRC. He is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. He is Alpha and Omega.
What we think about God determines our worship and service and it is easy for us to impose our cultural preferences on Jesus and blot out who He really is. When we have an incorrect picture of Him we will worship Him in a cool and misguided way - without Spirit & Truth.
Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth. The woman said, 'I know that Messiah is coming. When he comes he will explain everything to us.' Then Jesus declared, 'I who speak to you am he." (John 4:21-24)
- Jesus kills the debate about place & form of worship.
- It doesn't matter where and how you worship.
- "We worship what we know" - truth of worship is vital.
- The more you know God and know about God, the deeper you can worship.
- Worship comes because God reveals Himself - He is a God of revelation - He shows Himself & especially through Jesus.
- Spirit & truth - it is a heart and mind thing - I must also insist on body.
- What I know about God and feel about God comes together and moves me ---- to sing ---- to dance ----- to commit random acts of kindness ----- to love God ---- to love my brothers
- "They are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks" - HE will seek out the right kind of worshiper - He will tabernacle (pitch a tent) with them.
- The Father is the mover in the relationship - He seeks His lost sheep.
Paul also has great confidence in the believers worship of God:
“For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--” (Philippians 3:3)
- Circumcision = correct worship.
- Correct worship is by the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus is the Glory of God.
- Material issues are of little importance in worship - it is all about a heart, mind and body given to Him.
THE REVELATION OF JOHN
This book is saturated with worship. The first three chapters are about healthy and sick church life. The unfolding of God's plan for the world start with two chapters of worship before God's action starts in chapter 6 - again worship before action
READ, SEE & UNDERSTAND WHAT WORSHIP IN ETERNITY IS LIKE (Revelation 4&5)
Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty
who was, and is, and is to come (4:8)
In 'Gladiator' Russel Crowe said
'what we do in this life echoes in eternity"
BUT MORE TRUE
"what we will do in eternity should echo in this life"
Date Added: 2011-02-27
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen