Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
by Erik Momsen
"Now I am become death (Shiva), the destroyer of worlds" : Bhagavad-Gita. An interesting self description of the Hindu deity.
The destroyer is at work and his ways are diverse and deceptive. This is not a happy planet and we need to understand as much as possible of how our enemy works.
Peter, who had his own share of run ins with the deceiver, warn us in 1 Peter 5:5-9. Remember Jesus himself refers to Peter as satan.
v.5 "Cloth yourselves with humility towards one another ... God opposes the proud".
v.6 "Humble yourselves, therefore under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time".
- Pride seems to be satan's favorite suite.
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit." (Isaiah 14:12-15)
v.7 "Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you".
- So much heartache and destruction comes from fear.
- There is no fear in God's love and we have to transform our thinking on this matter - His perfect love drives out all fear.
- HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US OR FORSAKE US!!!
v. 8 "Be self controlled (nepho = sober) and alert (awake). Your enemy the devil prowls like a lion ..."
- The modern translations have perhaps weakened this verse. The Greek says "be sober" as in not intoxicated. (1 Thes 5:6-8 = same)
- A little while ago our minister of Police stated that the biggest single problem in RSA was alcohol abuse.
v.9 "Resist him, stand firm in your faith ..."
- Any temptation can be resisted in the name, blood and Spirit of Jesus.
- The devil does not want this taught but it was one of the truths that set the Wesley revival apart.
"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says, God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. Therefore submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners; and purify your hearts, double-minded ones. Be afflicted, and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to heaviness. Be humbled before the Lord, and He will lift you up". (James 4:6-10)
- We might even say resist pride and the devil will flee.
- Humility towards all and submission to God.
- Resistance is NOT futile.
- It is time for soul searching!
- It is time for house cleaning!
THE FIRST ATTACK AGAINST HUMANITY
Satan's first attack against humanity was not like some poltergeist movie, but a subtle temptation. Most of his work is still like this.
We all hate cockroaches. The legs and the feelers and their erratic running. But have you seen small cockroaches? They really are quite cute. But do not be deceived. Kill it while it is small or it will breed and infest your life. Sin is the same. Kill it while it is small.
The devil's attacks are constant and sly and will cause havoc in your life if you are not sober and awake. He is not an invincible enemy. He was defeated at the cross BUT believers are asleep and enjoy their sin too much. We have not see well enough what lies beyond our own pride, greed, lust, fear. A righteous walk with Jesus is an awesome and powerful thing. It brings life and blessing to all around us.
Date Added: 2010-11-29
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen