Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Seed Time & Harvest
by Erik Momsen
So how does the world work? Is it "dog eat dog" or is it a "rat race"? A famous actress said, "Even if you win the rat race you are still a rat". People often say these really negative things after experiencing the worst life has to offer. But what if there was a neutral law of life that was true and if applied positively could bring huge blessing?
About 4500 years ago a really bad thing happened. The Great Flood. Every thing was destroyed. Imagine how depressing that must have been for those who survived. They opened the door and I imagine there was mud. Who wants to start all over again? Into this God makes a promise of how the world will work from now.
"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." (Genesis 8:22)
God establishes the modus operandi for the Earth while it remains. Until the last day ... this is how it will be. Take hold of this truth. If day and night ceased would you not know that we were in really big trouble? So seedtime and harvest are God's basic instructions for living. Thank God farmers around the world still do this.
About 2500 years after Noah the Jews were still on this trip about sowing and reaping. From the man who said "you are saved by grace through faith" (Ephesians 2:8) we get these words:
"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that he also will reap. For he sowing to his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh. But he sowing to the Spirit will reap life everlasting from the Spirit. But we should not lose heart in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not faint. So then as we have time, let us work good toward all, especially toward those of the household of faith." (Galatians 6:7-10)
- The warning here is "Do not mock God!!!"
- You won't get away with it!!!
- Paul confirms that sowing and reaping is still basic to life.
- He knows a man has to sow to get a crop.
- The kind he sows is the kind he receives in return (peas for peas).
- Reaping is in proportion to sowing (sow little, reap little).
Christians want to forget this passage because they think it negates the power of the cross for forgiveness. Paul's passage is only confirming cause and effect in life and we know that only with God and the blood if Jesus is forgiveness possible.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SOW & REAP ON MONDAY MORN?
- God made us to sow seed. Forget not why He put Adam in the garden. "And the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to work it and keep it." (Genesis 1:15)
- GREAT SPIRITUAL LESSON - plant a garden!!!
- We have forgotten that we must plant, so now we scavenge - Israel was only in the desert for 40 year - i.e. manna and quails - but for thousands of years before and after they were to sow & reap. Believers look to heaven waiting for manna to fall - it is not going to!!! We have become so spiritually minded we are no earthly good. Another word for this could be laziness.
- What is my seed in the concrete jungle? You yourself - the smile on your face - the joy in your voice - the kindness of your eyes.
"But you don't know my pain", you say. Yes - but God does, so sow.
"Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy. He who goes forth and weeps, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him." (Psalm 126:5,6)
- Think practically - think seed - maize, beans, peas ... helping a neighbour ... helping at your school or church ... helping in another friends field ... buying a field ... planting a field. (Proverbs 31)
- Prepare ground - it takes hard work - are you prepared to work?
- Seasons - look to see what season is it - is it season to buy and sell wool or is it cars --- ESPECIALLY ASK GOD WHAT SEASON IT IS.
- Risk - it takes guts to take thousands of rands of seed and bury it.
- Patience - if gardening was instant we would all do it - we are too impatient we stop doing good - doing the right thing because it take longer than we like. Some people around you are reaping because they have been sowing for generations.
- God is GOOD - we must trust that He is WILLING & ABLE
"For in due season we shall reap, if we do not faint."
The new entrepreneur will come from Followers of Jesus.
Date Added: 2010-10-19
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen