Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Blessed @ Work
by Erik Momsen
We have just seen some of the most destructive strikes in many years. The work place is not a happy place. It is a battle ground and the job does not get done. It is almost as if there is a curse over our work. Perhaps that is the problem. Curses result and persist due to sin.
Africa had over 400 years of slavery - the slave basket of the world.
Africa then had its mineral wealth plundered - i.e the Anglo-Boer War.
Africa then had a wave of dictators that banked the wealth in Switzerland.
Africa is now at the mercy of globalization.
The Bible is not surprised by the curse on our work.
"And to Adam He said, Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it! The ground is cursed for your sake. In pain shall you eat of it all the days of your life. It shall also bring forth thorns and thistles to you, and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are , and to dust you shall return." (Genesis 3:17-19)
- Adam's very provision was cursed because of sin.
- It gets even worse with his sons.
"And now you are cursed more than the ground which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. When you till the ground, it will not again give its strength to you. And you shall be a vagabond and a fugitive in the earth." (Genesis 4:11,12)
- The curse upon Cain and the earth places a complete barrier between them.
- Bloodshed between brothers (civil war) turns farmers into wanderers.
GOD STARTED IT ALL AS A BLESSING
God blessed them: "Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take charge! Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air, for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth." (Genesis 1:28)
God is a worker - from day one, and He made Adam to be one also.
Adam's work was a joy and it produced results.
Adam also rested with God in the cool of the evening.
CURSE TO BLESSING
1) THE CURSE IS BROKEN AT THE CROSS - The cross comes to remove the curse. Adam brought the curse where Jesus brings in the blessing.
"And according as we bore the image of the earthy man, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man." (1 Corinthians 15:49)
2) A MIND CHANGE - YOURS WORK PLACE IS YOUR MISSION - you are salt and light sent out as sheep among wolves - ALL HONEST WORK IS GOOD WORK - we must remove status and pride from our work ethic.
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” (Colossians 3:23)
3) ASK FOR THE BLESSING - "And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed, and make my border larger, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, so that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he asked." (1 Chronicles 4:10)
- Because our Father is good we can ask to be blessed - i.e. if He is your Father.
4) IT STARTS WITH PRAISE AND THANKFULNESS
- We find fault with everything and blame someone else. The type of job we do is not the problem, but our attitude is. We all want to be professionals but once there we find it just as much of a drag.
5) KINGDOM FIRST MINDSET - “You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it." ... 9 "You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?" declares the LORD Almighty. "Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house." Haggai 1:6,9
- Seek the Kingdom first & last & in between - whole mind set on Kingdom.
- Do God’s things first and blessing will result.
- We need God’s blessing and creative Spirit to fill our work.
6) NO QUICK FIX - “Ill-gotten treasures are of no value, but righteousness delivers from death.” (Proverbs 10:2)
7) KEEP A SABBATH - we will not work as the creator intended until we rest as He designed.
8) BEWARE THE WORRIES, WEALTH AND PLEASURE - Focus on God & His things.
“The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.” (Luke 8:14)
Date Added: 2010-09-13
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen