Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Making a Difference
by Erik Momsen
A fortune five hundred company was bleeding staff. From all levels of the company people were leaving. They tried improving working conditions, gave great increases and dramatically improved peoples work space. Still people kept leaving. A consultant was called in to stop the rot.
The first question he asked was, "What does this business do?"
"We make pharmaceuticals" was the reply. "Be more specific" he demanded.
"We make medicines that fight life threatening deceases in children".
"Then put up photographs of children and their stories. Tell your staff how what they do saves children's lives. Tell them how they make a difference", said the consultant. People stopped leaving.
Our work and lives have to mean something. How much more our faith!
The Jesus we love, serve and follow shook the world and his followers did even more. "Truly, truly, I say to you, He who believes on Me, the works that I do he shall do also, and greater works than these he shall do, because I go to My Father." (John 14:12)
- Belief / faith.
- Greater works that Jesus.
- Because Jesus sends the Spirit.
"HE WHO BELIEVES" ... FAITH
The workers at that pharmaceutical company caught some faith that they were at the right place and that their lives made a difference.
For faith to be real it must make a difference. Faith is not a set of belief but a way of living, being and doing. Faith changes people and their actions. Faith starts to change us so we become more like Jesus and we do the things He does.
HOW DOES FAITH WORK?
- Starts by hearing God (Bible, sermon, inner voice, dream, prophecy)
"Faith is of hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." (Romans 10:17)
- It follows in an action - MUST MUST MUST.
"But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Do you see how faith worked with his works, and by the works faith was made complete?" (James 2:20-22)
- God waits for your move. He told Abraham to sacrifice his son and only as he was about the kill Isaac did God provide the ram. Noah was told to build an ark and looked pretty silly until the flood came. Jesus tells the disciples to feed hundreds with a few sandwiches. This is the pattern. If we had what we needed it would not be faith and would not need God's involvement.
HOW DOES THIS CHURCH MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
- When they called me they did not have the money to pay me.
- When we built this building we did not have the money.
- When we started the school we did not have teachers and the people who were supposed to help me dropped me - hooray.
- God told us to become a Community church and He sustained us.
- There are people to talk to - this is a railway station.
- There are children in this building seven days a week.
- There are small groups meeting nearly every day of the week.
- The bible is taught regularly.
- Hospitality is extended.
- Worship music is played -- it's up to you to worship.
- The poor are fed & clothed --- but we can do more.
- Other countries are visited - more mission.
- We are casting out demons and healing the sick.
- We are extending our school.
- We are planting a full school in Wells Estate and then Motherwell.
OUR JOB IS TO BE BOLD AND THE LORD DOES MIRACLES
"And now, Lord, behold their threatenings, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your Word, by stretching forth of Your hand for healing, and miracles, and wonders may be done by the name of Your holy child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the Word of God with boldness." (Acts 4:29-31)
Date Added: 2010-08-29
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen