Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Our Purpose as a Church
by Erik Momsen
The Bible tells us to do many things. Too many for any person to remember or attempt. Since there are so many, we get confused and attempt very little. There are however two vital passages in scripture that can be our legs to stand on. These passages are called the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
Jesus replied " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This it the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as your self.' All the law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40)
"... Go and make disciple of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19,20)
Rick Warren has drilled this slogan into the mind of his fellowship:
"A great Commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will build a great church."
GREAT COMMANDMENT & COMMISSION ISSUES 5 ACTIONS
From the Great Commandment:
1) "Love the Lord your God ..." = WORSHIP
2) "Love your neighbour ..." = MINISTRY or SERVICE
From the Great Commission:
3) "Go and make disciples" = EVANGELISM
4) "Baptizing them" = FELLOWSHIP (INCORPORATE)
5) "Teaching them to obey" = DISCIPLESHIP
WHAT DO THESE WORDS MEAN?
1) WORSHIP - celebrate God's presence - MAGNIFY
2) MINISTRY - demonstrate God's love - MINISTRY
3) EVANGELISM - communicate God's Word - MISSION
4) FELLOWSHIP - incorporate into God's family - MEMBER
5) DISCIPLESHIP - educate God's people - MATURITY
Date Added: 2010-08-10
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen