Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Authority & Blessing
by Erik Momsen
"And God blessed them. And God said to them, Be fruitful, and multiply and fill the earth, and subdue it. And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." (Genesis 1:28)
God's plan for us was blessing and order. There seems to be less and less of this in the world but there is a way for believers to take on that authority and order that results in blessing. God's well-oiled creation has had the spanner of rebellion and disobedience thrust into it's spokes but the advancing Kingdom can turn this around.
A PERSON UNDER GOD
"The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my boy will be healed. For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, Go! And he goes; and to another, Come! And he comes; and to my servant, Do this! And he does it. When Jesus heard, He marvelled and said to those who followed, Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel." (Matthew 8:8-10)
- Humility before God - but knowing His power and authority.
- He understood the creative voice of God = "God just speak".
- He undid the curse of "you shall be as gods". (Genesis 3:5)
- He knew he was under one God.
- He understood authority and obedience.
- Jesus acknowledges his faith as the greatest in Israel.
- A man hearing and responding to God's constant voice is FAITH and this brings great power and blessing to undo the curse.
JESUS BESTOWS AUTHORITY
"And when He had called to Him His twelve disciples, He gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease." Matthew 10:1
"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All authority is given to Me in Heaven and in earth." Matthew 28:18
A CHURCH WITHOUT AUTHORITY
I believe that so many churches do not operate under God's plan for authority and blessing. I have heard pastors say, "we know what the bible says and what God is saying to us but the rules of the church don't allow us ... " This type of church is disconnected from its Head. They are not under authority and therefore cannot have just authority over its people.
Very few people are under the authority of their church. There is very little mutual submission and respect for those who are to lead them in Christ.
"Remember your leaders, who have spoken to you the Word of God. Follow their faith, considering the end of their conduct: ... Yield to your leaders, and be submissive, for they watch for your souls, as those who must give account, that they may do it with joy and not with grief; for that is unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:7,17)
- This is a very unpopular concept as the spirit of individualism and disobedience rules in many hearts - "Who does he think he is ...?"
UNDER AUTHORITY TO THE STATE
"Let every soul be subject to the higher authorities. For there is no authority but of God; the authorities that exist are ordained by God. So that the one resisting the authority resists the ordinance of God; and the ones who resist will receive judgment to themselves. For the rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the bad. And do you desire to be not afraid of the authority? Do the good, and you shall have praise from it." (Romans 13:1-3)
- This is firstly a call for a right heart attitude.
- Jesus resisted the powers of the day, but His methods were different.
FAMILIES UNDER GOD'S AUTHORITY STRUCTURE
" ... the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." 1 Corinthians 11:3
- Men want others' submission without themselves being submitted to Christ.
- This is illegitimate authority - this is dictatorship - taking power by force.
- The authority "mystery" (Ephesians 5:32) starts with me looking up, not me trying to order those under me.
When I am in right standing under Christ's headship then I become part of His authority structure and order and blessing starts to flow.
"Submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. ... as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:21-24)
HUMILITY IS THE KEY
SUBJECT TO CHRIST - SUBJECT TO THOSE OVER YOU IN THE LORD - SUBJECT TO BELIEVERS AROUND YOU = ORDER & BLESSING
Date Added: 2010-08-01
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen