Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
But have no love, I am nothing
by Erik Momsen
Do you fear that it will all come to nothing? That you will have no meaning and miss your goals? Do you fear that you will lose your life? Not just die but live and die without making your mark.
"I want to be something, I want to make something of my life, I want to leave behind a legacy" is the modern title of thousands of books.
By the way, Jesus says that those who lose their lives for his sake will gain it (Matthew 10:39)
ACCORDING TO GOD, LOVE IS THE TEST OF YOUR LIFE
Love is the only test that will have eternal consequences. You can fail any other test and it will be forgotten but fail the test of love and there will be eternal trouble for you.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have prophecies, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so as to move mountains, and do not have love, I am nothing. And though I give out all my goods to feed the poor , and though I deliver my body to be burned, and have not love, I am profited nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
- Without love "I am nothing ... I am profited nothing".
- We must take to heart that we are nothing, in God's estimation, without love.
- God is love - His greatest value is love and He lives to love.
EVEN BELIEVERS SEEM TO FAIL THE TEST OF LOVE
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many will become cold". (Matthew 24:12)
"So because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. ... Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him and he with Me." (Revelation 3:16,20)
"But they who will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which plunge men into death and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all evils, of which some having lusted after, they were seduced from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and meekness." (1 Timothy 6:9-11)
- You have to be very strong in faith & love to live with wealth.
- Wealth is a great tester of true LOVE.
- Remember the rich man, the camel and the needle.
HOW DID GOD SHOW THIS LOVE?
"... when Jesus knew that His hour had come when He should depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own in the world, He loved them to the end." (John 13:1)
"Then when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, It is finished! And He bowed His head and gave up the spirit." (John19:30)
- The same root word is used for "to the end" and "It is finished".
- John is reminding us that Jesus loved to death - this was the extent of His love - He did not stop short.
WHAT ABOUT US?
"No one has greater love than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
- Jesus was talking about you and me as well - not only His own love.
"Let brotherly love continue. Do not be forgetful to entertain strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember those who are in bonds, as bound with them , those who suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body." (Hebrews 13:1-3)
- Love in the church (philadelphia) but also to strangers (philoxenias).
- We know the word xenophobia - fear of strangers and what an evil.
- We are called to love the strangers and take them in.
- This is a test of love.
THANK GOD LOVE IS A GIFT
" ... because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit given to us." (Romans 5:5)
- With the presence of God comes love - ask for love - desire love - test yourself by love - and in the end live and die by love.
Date Added: 2010-07-12
Back to previous page | Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen