Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Hearing God (Part 3)
by Erik Momsen
I am convinced that hearing God is available to every one of His children. Jesus was perfectly clear that His sheep hear His voice. The trouble is we do not believe and persevere. God is only one option and not the only option in our lives. The people who heard God in the Bible had no other option.
"Wisdom cries outside; she utters her voice in the streets; she cries in the chief place of gathering, in the openings of the gates; in the city she utters her words, saying , How long will you love simplicity, simple ones? And will scorners delight in their scorning? And will fools hate knowledge? Turn at my warning; behold, I will pour out my Spirit to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I called, and you refused; I stretched out my hand, and no one paid attention; but you have despised all my advice, and would have none of my warning. I also will laugh at your trouble; I will mock when your fear comes; when your fear comes as a wasting away, and your ruin comes like a tempest when trouble and pain come upon you. Then they shall call upon me, and I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me; instead they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD. They would have none of my counsel; they despised all my correction, and they shall eat the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own desires. For the turning away of the simple kills them, and the ease of fools destroys them. But whoever listens to me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil." (Proverbs 1:20-33)
Hearing God is not for interest sake - big things are at stake.
NOT a technique but comes from a desperate desire and knowledge that only God's thoughts matter.
Will you really hold on to the end no matter what? - (eg. Daniel). Hearing comes from faith. Faith comes from a position or decision that there is no other option but God.
HEARING COMES FROM A LIFE DEDICATED TO GOD
Yes, this does mean you. There are a number of account of desperate women who God listens to, speaks to and blesses. Sarah, Hannah and Mary are but a few. The story of little Samuel hearing God show us some deep truths.
"And she vowed a vow and said, O, Lord of hosts, if You will indeed look upon the affliction of Your handmaid and remember me, and not forget Your handmaid, but will give to Your handmaid a man-child, then I will give him to the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head." (1 Samuel. 1:11)
- How is that for dedication? She want a child so badly she is prepared to give him straight back.
See verse 24-28
"And I have returned him to the LORD. As long as he lives, he shall be given to the LORD. And he worshiped the LORD there." (verse 28)
Samuel is probably around three years old. What does a three year old know about worship? His very presence to the Lord is a worship. People are saying, "That is the child whose mother gave him up to be in the Lord's house 24/7". People's response to Hannah and Samuel brings worth to the Lord.
Samuel 2:18-21 - Hannah's reward for her sacrifice - three sons and two daughters
3:10 - Samuel hears God for the nation. God will not only speak to you for you but His desire is to speak to the world though His children.
THIS IS GOD'S DESIRE FOR HIS PEOPLE
6. And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your seed, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live. ... 8 And you shall return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all His commandments which I command you today. 9. And the LORD your God will make you have plenty in every work of your hand, in the fruit of your body, and in the fruit of your cattle, and in the fruit of your land, for good. For the LORD will again rejoice over you for good, as He rejoiced over your fathers; 10. for you shall listen to the voice of the LORD your God, to keep His commandments ... if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
11. "For this commandment which I command you today is not hidden from you, neither is it far off. ... But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, so that you may do it." (Deuternomy 30:6-14)
- THAT HIS PEOPLE MAY LOVE HIM - HEAR HIS VOICE & BE BLESSED
- THIS IS NOT FAR FROM US!!!
Date Added: 2010-02-24
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen