Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Hearing God (Part 2)
by Erik Momsen
WHY DON'T WE HEAR?
1) ONLY SHEEP HEAR THE SHEPHERD.
Since Jesus says, "My sheep hear my voice ... " and many say they do not hear then they must still be goats. Become a sheep and you will hear.
2) SOME SHEEP DON'T KNOW THEY SHOULD HEAR.
Since we have not been taught to expect His voice we have not learned to distinguish His voice from all the others. He gets drowned out.
3) THE SHEPHERD'S VOICE WAS RECORDED FOR US TO LEARN WHAT TO EXPECT. Since leaning theory before practice is a good principle we learn what God has said in the past as a primer for what He will say today.
4) THE SHEEP MUST WANT TO HEAR & OBEY
Too many sheep act like goats. This is the point where Jesus is no longer only savior BUT also Lord. When we say, "Lord" we mean ultimate master of our lives. We too often believe that God must serve us instead of us serving Him.
HEARING & SEEING GOD
God's purpose is for us to hear and see Him. This is more than possible! Remember the first words of Adam after the fall were; "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I am naked, and I hid myself" (Genesis 3:10). Even in his state of sin he was able to hear God and recognise His voice.
We must encourage the desire in us to hear and see God. Hear the need in the Psalmist's heart.
"Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters; as the eyes of a maiden to the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait on the LORD our God, until He shall have mercy on us. " Psalm 123:2
THE BIBLE SHOWS US THE PATTERNS OF GOD'S ACTIVITY
As we look to scripture we start to see the One behind the words, our knowledge of Him is increased and we can start to look for His activity in our lives. The Bible is the book of the accounts relationships between people and God.
Most of all Jesus is the model of the relationship between God and humanity. The life Jesus lived and the things he did are the pattern for our lives. More important than His actions was His closeness to the Father. He said he came to show us the Father. When we see Jesus we see the Father. It is His character or likeness that we are to be conformed to (Romans 8:29).
Jesus has perfect relationship with the Father - "I and the Father are one".
Jesus has a perfect understanding of the will of God.
Jesus did the perfect will of God.
THE PATTERNS OF GOD & HIS WILL FOR OUR LIVES
1) When God works in the world He always tells His people.
Look at any Biblical character and you will see that God approaches them. God takes the initiative. God is on the move. God is on mission.
"For the Lord Jehovah will do nothing unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets." (Amos 3:7)
The Father is always at work, tells His children (esp Jesus) and we follow in His works.
"But Jesus answered them, My Father works until now, and I work. ... Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself but what He sees the Father do. For whatever things He does, these also the Son does likewise." (John 5:17,19)
2) God never speaks to someone unless He wants them to be involved. We want idle chatter with God, a warm feeling and an experience. Often God will not speak because He knows of our unwillingness to respond.
God reveals Himself and His ways so we can change. Every time God spoke in scripture people's lives changed dramatically. Are you ready for this type of change?
3) The Bible is a book where God speaks on every page. Why do we not expect Him to speak today? The Bible pattern is clear. Has God changed?
4) The Problem is that we do not know His voice. Jesus said, "My sheep know my voice." This leave us with a crisis of faith. Faith is to know His voice!!! Also when He speaks things change because we are confronted by the eternal God.
Expect God to talk - God does talk - hear His voice - obey - God talks again - be changed. Too often God talks and we are deaf or disobedient!!!
Date Added: 2010-02-16
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen