Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen
Hearing God (Part 1)
by Erik Momsen
God is calling us to a fresh encounter with Himself.
The human experience seems to be a search for God but Genesis 3:9,10 describes a God who looks for us; "And the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, Where are you? And he said, I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I am naked, and I hid myself".
Religion sets out paths to find the "gods" but the God of the Bible is the one who does the searching. We however have a part to play.
EYES OF FAITH
We need faith to know and hear God. There seems to be a contradiction here. It is a little like playing the game where we taste foods without smelling or seeing them. We often don't know what we are tasting. We see, smell and then taste and know what we are eating. It is difficult to know it is God unless we have been told what God is like and how He speaks.
Paul sets this issue before us: "Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who diligently search for him." (Hebrews 11:6).
- To come to God or search for God, we must believe HE exists.
- This faith that moves us to seek Him pleases God.
- God rewards those who seek Him.
The faith to seek God is a gift from Him. Faith is that longing and looking for God. God created us with these eyes of faith but the world blinds us.
FAITH AS A GIFT - "He has set eternity in the hearts of men". (Ecclesiastes 3:11 NIV).
CHILD-LIKE FAITH - Our faith-eyes are opened as children.
FAITH FROM HEARING - Faith comes by hearing (Romans 10:17).
FAITH FROM THE WORD - "And that by the Word of God" (Rom. 10:17)
FAITH FROM CREATION - "For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God himself has made it plain ... For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes, his eternal power and divine nature have been understood and observed by what he made, so that people are without excuse." (Romans 1:19,20)
- Creation tells us about God's "invisible attributes, eternal power and divine nature". We see from nature that God is a God of order, creativity, fruitfulness, life ...
- Despite the fact that they knew God they neither glorified Him nor gave Him thanks. Their lives and minds therefore became dark. They lost creativity, insight and wisdom. Despite the fact that they had SOME FAITH they did not use it to find God. The results is that they became more and more lost.
WE KNOW A CREATOR GOD
i) The planner and the mover. He said to Job, "Where were you when I created ..."
ii) God sets the rules and patterns of creation. Live by them and be blessed. Break them and be cursed.
iii) God is not an absent creator. He is involved in the lives of people. The cross is the prime example.
iv) God created us for eternity. (Genesis 3:22)
v) Jesus as co-creator (John 1:3) is our model of relationship with God.
WE KNOW GOD ESPECIALLY BY REVELATION
Our God reveals Himself. He comes to us. We saw this with Adam and Eve but it is true throughout scripture. God came to Noah and the first words to Abram are:
"And the LORD said to Abram, Go out of your country, and from your kindred, and from your father's house into a land that I will show you." (Genesis 12:1)
The Bible is the record of God's RELATIONSHIP with people.
The Bible is a record of God's directions for us.
The Bible clearly shows us God's nature and will.
IT IS ALL ABOUT A RELATIONSHIP
Our faith is not a set of rules or a road map, but a daily walk with a living Person. The Bible directs us to A PERSON. Tells us about that Person so we can look out for Him. God wants to be closer and is able to be closer than our breath.
He calls Himself "I AM". I AM life, your healer, your provision. He does not stand at a distance and give life. He is "life" and when we are close to Him we share it. In this RELATIONSHIP we have life and guidance.
We look through the Bible and its events to see God who is alive today. God is not a concept that we can file in our minds but a Person who demands a decision for or against Him.
THE WORD SHOWS US THE PATTERNS OF GOD'S ACTIVITY
Most of all Jesus is the model of the relationship between God and humanity. If Jesus lived and did it then we should also. It was not so much about the activities of Jesus but His closeness to the Father. HE said he came to show us the Father. When we see Jesus we see the Father. It was His character or likeness that we are to be conformed to (Romans 8:29)
Jesus has perfect relationship with the Father - "I and the Father are one".
Jesus has a perfect understanding of the will of God.
Jesus did the perfect will of God.
THE PATTERNS OF GOD & HIS WILL FOR OUR LIVES
1) When God wants to work in the world He always tells His people.
Look at any Biblical character and you will see that God approaches them. God takes the initiative. God is on the move. God is on a mission.
"For the Lord Jehovah will do nothing unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets." (Amos 3:7)
The Father is always at work, tells His children (esp Jesus) and we follow in His works.
"But Jesus answered them, My Father works until now, and I work. ... Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself but what He sees the Father do. For whatever things He does, these also the Son does likewise." (John 5:17,19)
2) God never speaks to someone unless He wants them to be involved. We want idle chatter with God, a warm feeling and an experience. Often God will not speak because He knows of our unwillingness to respond. God reveals Himself and His ways so we can change. Every time God spoke in scripture people's lives change dramatically. Are you ready for this type of change?
3) The Bible is a book where God speaks on every page. Why do we not expect Him to speak today? The Bible pattern is clear. Has God changed?
4) The problem is that we do not know His voice. Jesus said, "My sheep know my voice." This leave us with a crisis of faith. Faith is to know His voice!!! Also when He speaks things change because we are confronted by the eternal God.
Expect God to talk - God does talk - we hear His voice - we obey - God talks again - we change. Too often God talks and we are deaf or disobedient!!! An encounter with God
"And the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, Where are you? And he said, I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I am naked, and I hid myself." Genesis 3:9,10
Date Added: 2010-02-09
Go to Weekly Teachings by Erik Momsen